Help on Agroforestry Proj. in Acre,

pgharr at peg.pegasus.oz.au pgharr at peg.pegasus.oz.au
Fri Feb 12 18:49:00 EST 1993

There is a lot of information about most of the products you
mention in your posting.

In particular for Jessenia and Oenocarpus there is an
excellent bookle produced by FAO in 1991 or 1992 on the two
species which covers agronomy, production and processing.  The
author is M. Blaak [with 2a's!].  It is excellent.  There have
been a number of articles in the journal "Economic Botany" and
although I can not give specific references a computer search
on CAB or Tropag will turn up quite a few.  Of interest is the
references in the back of both Blaak and Ec Bot; there is a
lot of info but often written in Pt or Sp.

Bixa orellana:  Of interest for a colourant to replace
artifical ones in eg butter and margarine.  There is a large
importer in the southern US who could be a help.  They were
after suppliers some time back.  I have a copy of some recent
info on this which I'll post over.  There is quite a bit of
potential for expansion if costs can be kept down.

For the other palms, try a search on the two computer
databases mentioned above.....I'm sure the Agronomy and or
Horticulture Depts at Cornell could help, as these are std
databases for agricultural searches, and they are annottated.
USDA library is also OK but has no abstracts.

Cupuassu is seen by some as an alternate to cocoa.  Our Dept
is researching the material, but there is little data yet.
Try economic Botany also as a good start.

There should be data on processing Guarana in Brazil, probably
in Pt, as it is widely utilised.  I cannot help in this area,
but there are some good university people in places such as
Londrina and Pelotas in their respective Agriculture depts who
should be able to help.  You could also try the Amazonian
Silvicultural and Forest Institute at Manaus in Brazil.  I do
not have exact address here but if you forward your fax I'll
send some copies of business cards of colleagues there and at
unis in S Brazil.

As for other species to utilise. it is difficult to recommend
without knowing more of the intentions.  Are they to join the
cash economy? Provide nutritional improvement? Timber? etc.
Obviously there is some potential for improved returns on
local species which are better understood and successfully
grown in the area.  Where would produce be used?  What about
transport links if stuff has to be sent any distance?  What
else is grown?  Is fertiliser to be used at all?

Of the trees that may have some potential a possibility could
be neem - Azadarichta indica.  Seeds used as a insecticide and
the tree for a host more products.  Local processing is a
distinct possibility.  Lots of books to read try the
proceedings of the last 2 world congresses.

Please write if more detail required Peter Harrison,
Department of Primary Industry and Fisheries, PO Box 79 ,
Berrimah  NT 0828 AUSTRALIA.
 peter Harrison