FOREST EMBRYOGENESIS RESEARCH - NZ

smithdr at fri.cri.nz smithdr at fri.cri.nz
Mon Jul 26 21:57:59 EST 1993

RESEARCH SCIENTIST POSITION
PINE SOMATIC EMBRYOGENESIS.

A research position is immediately available for a person
with research experience in somatic embryogenesis, liquid
culture, bioreactor research, or preferably all three.

The position would suit someone with a Ph.D or similar
research experience. It is located in Rotorua, New Zealand.

The New Zealand Forest Research Institute Ltd. (NZFRI) is a
Crown Research Institute, a company established
by the Government of New Zealand to be the predominant
provider of forestry related research and development in
New Zealand. There are over 400 staff here at the
Rotorua campus,and all aspects of forest research are
covered, from the gene to the end products
(pulp, timber, reconstituted products).

Within the Biotechnology Division, we have Tree Breeding,
Clonal Forestry, Forest Nursery, Molecular Biology,
and Tissue Culture research groups.

The Tissue Culture research group has been active
for over 20 years in the area of developing clonal
propagation technology using micropropagation and
embryogenesis. Both fundamental and applied
research are carried out in our laboratories.

My group has developed somatic embryogenesis
techniques for vegetative propagation of Pinus radiata,
and these are now undergoing commercial evaluation
by a forestry company in Rotorua. We have also developed
techniques using bioreactors for mass propagation, and
have secured funding to research this further. The
bioreactor research will interface with research into
artificial seed for encapsulation of somatic embryos,
and with the precommercial development research of our
industrial partner.

The research funding is for a period of two years,
with funding beyond that contingent on research progress.
All new NZFRI staff are employed on contracts of two years.
A satisfactory performance in the advertised project would
open up opportunities in other areas of research, including
my groups active support of transformation research with the
Molecular Biology group.

The job position entails accepting responsibility for
research into mass clonal propagation of Pine somatic
embryos in liquid suspension. We have extremely equipped
laboratories, including 3 computer controlled Setric
Genie 2cv (2 litre) research bioreactors. There is
support from well qualified and experienced technical staff.

I am happy to accept notice of application by FAX or Email,
and suggest that you send a copy of your Curriculum Vitae
by airmail as soon as possible (before August 7 1993).

Conditions of employment contract and salary are
available on request.

Thank you for your interest in the position,

Dale R. Smith, Ph.D (Calgary)
Technical Manager - Somatic Seed Project
Resource Centre Manager - Tissue Culture
Biotechnology Division
Forest Research Institute Ltd.
Private Bag 3020
Rotorua