Is Prunus serotina a problematic weed in Germany, Belgium, England, France?

meindert de jong <^_^> vlinders at rcl.wau.nl
Tue Jun 15 08:17:05 EST 1993

Dear Foresters:

The shrub and sometimes tree Prunus serotina (Black Cherry, American
Birdcherry) can be problematic with the renewal of Dutch pine forests.
After a clearcut shrubs and seedlings are growing out and compete with
the young plantation. In older forests endemic understory (ferns, native
shrubs) are often strangled by vigourous black cherries.
Mechanical control by cutting the shrubs enlarges the problem by rapid
sprouting of the stubs. Chemical control is often undesired. Biological
control has been studied and will be common practice soon (I hope).
Sometimes I receive a letter from Germany, Belgium, France about this
biocontrol agent made from mycelium of the fungus Chondrostereum purpureum.
(Chondrostereum purpureum is the causal agent of silver leaf disease of
plums and cherries.)

My Question is: As in how far is Prunus serotina a problem in the surrounding
countries of The Netherlands? I'm very inquisitive to know :)

Sincerely Yours, dr Meindert D. de Jong          | seeking a
E-mail: Vlinders at RCL.WAU.NL                      |  telejob
Voice: (+31) 8370 21937  FAX: (+31) 8370 23110
Photo:de Jong e.a.'90. Risk Analysis for Biological  Control.
A Dutch case study in biocontrol.. Plant Disease 74: 189-194.
Letter to the Editor 1992 Risk Assessment for the Application
of Biological Control of a Forest Weed by a Common Fungus.
Risk Analysis 12: 465-466.