Summer Entomological Research Assistants Needed

jimdb at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu jimdb at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Fri Mar 12 02:19:37 EST 1993

            ENTOMOLOGICAL RESEARCH ASSISTANTS NEEDED

Do you relish being in the desert in late spring?  Does the idea
of learning (not nearly) all there is to know about field
entomology (the study of insects) appeal to you?  How does the
concept of spending an inordinate quantity of time digging through
forest leaf litter on you hands and knees strike you?  Well now you
can realize these goals and many others in May and June of this
year (including your secret fantasy of chasing obscure beetles
through the desert)!  Applications are currently being accepted for
field assistants for the coming summer.

Your responsibilities/opportunities will include helping in the
search for five species of beetles, all of which are
well-integrated guests in the nests of ants of the genus Liometopum
in Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, and California.
Additionally, we will carry out a number of behavioral experiments
primarily concerned with understanding the integration mechanisms
that the beetles use to gain entry into the ants' nests.

In return, I will supply gas, transportation, lodging (tents), and
a bountiful storehouse of entomological knowledge, as well as
sharing with you some of the most breathtaking areas of the United
States (sorry, I am unable to provide research assistant stipends).
I will be traveling from Lawrence, Kansas through these areas from
May 6-20 and from June 6 - July 6.  If you are interested in
participating in some or all of this project, email me directly and
I will give you the details of the study as well as answer any
questions you may have.

If you are unable to participate in the project, but know of others
who may be, please pass this information on to them.  Similarly,
if you are on faculty at a university and wouldn't mind helping
out, please print this out and post it on your departmental
bulletin boards or make your students aware of this opportunity.
Thanks a lot!

James Danoff-Burg
Snow Entomological Museum
University of Kansas
Lawrence, Kansas    66045

JIMDB at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (internet)
JIMDB at UKANVAX (bitnet)
913-749-1034
913-864-3309--
Jim Danoff-Burg     (Snow Museum, Univ. of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045)
Bitnet: JIMDB at UKANVAX                Internet:jimdb at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
"Myrmecophiles-R-Us"