Association For Temperate Agroforestry (AFTA)

Michael_A.Gold MGOLD at MSU.EDU
Thu May 6 14:06:00 EST 1993

You may be aware that there have been two major conferences on Agroforestry in
North America, one in Guelph, Ontario in 1989 and another in Springfield,
Missouri in 1991.  People attending these meetings have expressed a need for
greater institutional support of temperate zone agroforestry, in terms of
policies, land use planning, research, education and information.  They have
also emphasized the need for greater cross-disciplinary and
cross-institutional communication and collaboration to develop and manage
integrated land use strategies.

Participants at the 1991 Missouri conference began the process of establishing
a new association to meet these needs.  The Association for Temperate
Agroforestry (AFTA) was formally organized by the Steering Committee in
November 1991. We encourage your support and participation of this new
initiative.

If you are not a member of AFTA and wish to receive a complementary copy of
the Temperate Agroforester, the newsletter of AFTA, and a membership form,
send me your name and address by e-mail or letter.

Your membership in AFTA will include a subscription to our Newsletter, a
membership directory (to be included in Volume 1 Number 2, forthcoming in
mid-1993), information on upcoming meetings and relevant agroforestry
publications, and the opportunity to work with others to promote more
productive and sustainable land management.

Sincerely,

Michael A. Gold
President, AFTA
Department of Forestry