Ecosystem (computer) models

Georg Hoermann georg at geki.toppoint.de
Sun May 23 14:55:14 EST 1993

In <C7C98H.I8M at noose.ecn.purdue.edu> muttiah at thistle.ecn.purdue.edu (Ranjan S Muttiah) writes:
>What are the ecosystems models in current use ?
>I would be particularly interested in knowing whether
>stochastic simulation analysis (SLAM/SIMAN) has been used.

Hello World,

the FORET-Models from Hank Shugart would be a good start. They have
their limits, but the do what they should.
A main area of interest is primary production, transpiration.
Species composition and dynamics are rarely included.
The general problem is, that we don4t know ecosystems good enough
to model them. Especially when it comes to interactions between
bio/geosphere or plants/animals there is much work left to do.
I dont4t think that "ecosystem" models actually exist, even if they
are put on the market with this label. All models I know treat
very limited aspects of ecosystems, but not the whole thing.

Greetings,
Georg

--
----
Georg Hoermann, schorsch at pz-oekosys.uni-kiel.dbp.de, noe33 at rz.uni-kiel.dbp.de
Work: Ecosystem Research Center, Kiel University
*** Think for yourself and always carry a lightbulb (bob dylan) ***