Termites

ewartd at emu.insted.unimelb.edu.au ewartd at emu.insted.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Nov 8 12:59:10 EST 1993

In article <1993Nov3.002839.1 at vmsb.is.csupomona.edu>, mgonzalez at vmsb.is.csupomona.edu writes:
> We have drywood termites in the bottom half of the garage
> door, some dampwood termites in the wooden patio outside where
> it's damp by our small koi fish pond, and finally we have
> SUBTERANEAN termites in the garage where our concrete wall
> meets the neighbor's concrete wall, the wall apparently has
> some minute leaks because there are traces of dampness in some
> spots where the concrete floor meets the concrete block wall.

OK, for the drywoods I'd recommend replacing the door.  Steel is nice!  But
seriously, there are many injectible chemicals you could apply but why bother
when it is easy to use a resistant timber or paint.  You could treat the new
one with borate before painting.

For the patio, remove the affected timber and you will almost certainly have
removed the whole colony (as with drywoods).  Then, set about rebuilding it
so that the timber has no ground contact and ample air flow so that it dries
quickly.

The subterraneans may need an expert inspection.  First check for leaks in the
roof or plumbing.  What is on your neighbours side?  It is helpful to work out
what species of termite is present since some are likely to be coming from
a large central colony elsewhere.  Standard practice would be to drill your
slab and wall and inject pesticide.  This is expensive and messy.  It puts
holes in the vapour barrier.

> BTW - the idea with the borax was to put it in solution and
>       let it soak into the wood via exposed wood. Do you think
>       some borax in the soil could help as well as a
>       pesticide?  I'm not really sure but it seems the borax
>       would outlast petroleum based pesticides in the soil -
>       just a guess.

A pesticide is all you'd need, don't double up or over dose.  Most termiticides
bind well to organics in the soil and are thus fairly protected from movement
due to water.  Borates are highly soluble and flush out quickly.  They are not
used (well should not be used) as soil pesticides, but are great in timber
which doesn't get very wet, since they mobilise when damp.

The subterranean termites can be baited and treated with a toxin that will
spread
through the whole colony.  I don't know if people in your area know how to
do this.

Cheers

Don