Trees = cold air

Alan Sibbald, Land Use Division MI002 at uk.AC.SCOT-AGRIC-RES-INST.MACAULAY-LAND-USE
Mon Oct 18 05:06:00 EST 1993

My colleagues and I have made measurements of temperature *below* the canopies
of widely-spaced trees in the UK. The effect of the trees is to buffer
temperature; maxima (in the daytime) are lower and minima (at night) are higher
than in the open.

Perhaps you would have felt an *increase* in temperature if you had driven in
your convertible close to the trees at night. Driving in a convertible at night
in the UK is not, however, generally recommended so I haven't tried it.

Alan
| Alan R Sibbald, Land Use Division,    | janet:A.R.Sibbald at uk.ac.sari.mluri|
| Macaulay Land Use Research Institute, |                                   |
| Craigiebuckler,   Aberdeen,           | phone: +44-(0)224-318611          |
| AB9  2QJ, United Kingdom              |   fax: +44-(0)224-311556          |