Borax for Termites in Wood?

mgonzalez at dhvx20.csudh.edu mgonzalez at dhvx20.csudh.edu
Sun Oct 31 00:52:03 EST 1993

Does anyone know how and if I could make an insecticide for
termite infested wood with a water solution using
orthoboric acid, i.e., how much water to borax? and will this
solution be good to treat termite infested wood?  There is a
commerical chemical called Timbor which is applied in solution
to the wood to rid termites and avoid them comming back - I
take it that the Timbor they use is primarily a borax solution,
probably with  something else, but I'm hoping it  will  work
with just the straight borax.  This commercial company uses
this instead of fumigating the entire house.  Also, I take it
borax is quite harmless, we sometimess use  the powder for
other insects and I was also wondering if breathing any of
that power could do harm.