My apology - RE: US/Cdn Lumber Yards - MBBM exports Western Red Cedar

gwwong at world.macblo.ca gwwong at world.macblo.ca
Mon Apr 11 11:58:10 EST 1994

0
}> From:  SMTP%"084NEIL at witsvma.wits.ac.za"
}> To:	  GWWONG
}> Subj:  RE: American Red Cedar -- Also posted to Usenet bionet.agroforestry
}>
}> Date:     Mon, 11 Apr 94 12:57:23 RSA
}> From:     Neil Saffer <084NEIL at witsvma.wits.ac.za>
}> Subject:  RE: American Red Cedar - Also posted to Usenet bionet.agroforestry
}> To:        "Gary Wong (604) 439-8682 Fax: 439-1032" <GWWONG at world.macblo.ca>
} From:	WORLD::MBR::COTTELL      "Phil"
} To:	WORLD::GWWONG
}Subj:	RE: USA/Canada Lumber Yards -- MBBM exports Western Red Cedar
}
}WRC is Thuja plicata.  Juniperus v. is eastern red cedar, or commonly called
}juniper.
}
}PLC

OOPS! My apologies, Neil!

I _thought_ Juniperus virginiana *was* Western Red Cedar -- information given
to me by a fellow engineer in the structural building materials section of R&D!
That guy is spending too much time on Parallam (tm) and TimberStrand (tm), our
engineering wood products... :-)

However, Phil Cottell who is my director of Building Materials, R&D, is also
the former director of Wood Harvesting (and a professional forester). As you
can see from Phil's mail message you may still want something differnt than
what I offered. (Mind you, our Western Red Cedar is _prized_ as a building
material in the western USA and overseas!).

---
Gary Wong
Sr. Sys. Eng.
MacMillan Bloedel Research