Job Advert - Ecosystem Modeller (UK - NERC)

GJL at wpo.nerc.ac.uk GJL at wpo.nerc.ac.uk
Thu Aug 11 06:28:20 EST 1994

We'd be grateful if you could circulate and display the following job advert
in your institution .......

------------------- modeller.as7 follows --------------------
Institute of Terrestrial Ecology (UK Natural Environment
Research Council)

Edinburgh, UK

Salary to 29117 p.a.

ECOSYSTEM MODELLER

We require a senior mathematical modeller to join a team of five
ecologists/modellers at our Edinburgh Research Station.  We are
developing process-based (physiological) models of plants, soils
and whole ecosystems.  You will be responsible for leading
research on model development and on the application of models
to problems concerning agroforestry, climate change, sustainable
forestry and pollution impacts.  You will need mathematical,
programming and computing skills, and must be able to write good
English.  You should have some experience of ecosystem
modelling, be able to communicate easily with
biologists/ecologists and be prepared to identify and pursue
opportunities to win customer support.

You should have a PhD in a relevant biological/mathematical
subject, preferably with experience of the analysis and
application of mathematical models.

The post will be for three years in the first instance.
Starting salary is likely to be in the range of 16,168 to
23,932 per annum, depending upon experience and qualifications.
The post carries an annual leave allowance of 25 days pa, with
10.5 days public holidays. There is a non-contributory pension
scheme in operation.

For further information and an application form please contact
the Station Secretary, Institute of Terrestrial Ecology, Bush
Estate, Penicuik, Midlothian EH26 0QB. Telephone
+44-31-445-4343,  FAX +44-31-445-3943 or EMAIL  BKB at ITE.AC.UK.

Closing date for receipt of applications is 5 September 1994.

NERC has an equal opportunities policy and welcomes applications
from all sections of the community.