beech tree disease?

DJPVT djpvt at
Wed Aug 24 18:48:01 EST 1994

In article <333mki$jmn at>, forcesix at (Forcesix)

The response to your question (beech scale) sounds right to me.  Beech
bark disease (brought on by these critters) is indeed a concern, but my
experience (I am a forester in Vermont) is that there are plenty of
resistant trees and I see no long term decline in beech.  When marking
timber to cut, healthy beech are left to increase the percentage of
resistant trees.  Many old beech seem to be hanging on.  It is almost
impossible to wipe out a beech stand (through disease or harvesting) due
to their method of reproduction from root suckering (sprouting).  Hope
this helps. {:>]  Dan