Reforestation/reclaimation of farmland

GrtHrndOwl grthrndowl at aol.com
Sat Dec 31 18:24:24 EST 1994

I have a similar situation. My wife's father has 250 aces of Minnesota
farmland that he wishes to put into trees.
My company makes wood veneer panels (custom plywood). As such we use a lot
of wood veneer and I have taken an interst in the forestry sources where
our veneer comes from. There are some excellent examples of viable,
profitable, sustainable forestry in this country.
Turning farmland back into hardwoods is a viable idea. The land will
produce some firewood and culled trees that can be sold for pulp or poles
in the first 15 years. However, remember that this is really an investment
that will start to pay off on a steady sustainable basis for your children
and their children. For them if can be an extremely valuable asset.
Contact the Iowa state dept of forestry - they should be able to help.
There are some government programs that will pay you an income to put the
land into trees...  (go figure)...
Try: Mr. Scott Landis
Woodworkers Alliance for Rainforest Protection
PO Box 1010
York Harbor, ME  03911   FAX (207) 363-5204
They are working also on domestic forestry issues and could put you in
touch with foresters knowledeable about this issue.
Go for it!