Colorado native trees - reference recommendations?

Joseph G. O'Brien obrie031 at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Tue Jan 11 16:50:24 EST 1994

On Mon, 10 Jan 1994 17:55:45 GMT, Stuart Wier wrote:

>I am writing a book on the native trees of Colorado and
>would appreciate any helpful references anyone would care
>to suggest.
>
>I am an amatuer naturalist, with no training in forestry.

You may want to use Agriculture Handbook No. 654, published by the Forest
Service in 1990.  The editors are R.M. Burns and B.H. Honkala.  There is an
earlier, less comprehensive Handbook, No. 271, published in 1965, edited
by H.A. Fowells.

The former volume is entitled "Silvics of North America" in two volumes,
hardwoods and conifers.  The earlier work is entitled "Silvics of Forest
Trees of the United States" and includes both hardwoods and conifers.

Articles in the two volume set include descriptions of range, site
requirements, associated cover types, seed production, seedling
development, growth and yield, genetics, etc, etc.  Some natural history is
included for many species, and several references are also provided for
each species.  I think that you'll find it quite helpful, and you might
have overlooked it, since it doesn't have a terribly meaningful title to
non-foresters.

Hope this helps...
Joseph G. O'Brien, Plant Pathologist
USDA Forest Service, 1992 Folwell Ave.