Biocontrol of stump sprouting in a Dutch polder

Meindert de Jong vlinders at rcl.wau.nl
Wed Jan 26 15:12:36 EST 1994

Dear Robert:
I'm tgerribly sorry to post this to the newsgroup but I didn't
manage to send you a personal reply. My e-mail bounced a few times.
Please send me a message of receipt.
My reply (beginning with '=====') follows after your e-mail:

> ... If the mycoherbicide turns out to be an effective
> control agent of stump sprouting of poplars and other
> deciduous trees, then current chemical control could (and
> should!) be replaced by biological control. This might cause a
> small revolution in sustainable forestry and management of
> roadside trees.
>
> Hope at the end of the summer of 1994 the first symptoms will
> appear. I would be happy to show you my trials if you happen
> to be in Holland.

i'm not one for chemical use either, but introducing a foreign
lifeform into an opulant environment might also be considered to
be an infection.  has any consideration been given to how to eliminate
the fungi to return the soil to productive forest??

...robert

---
if there weren't any trailer parks, would there be any tornados?
---
krobt at mom.(nova.com|uucp)
voice: 405/321-7812      data/FAX: 405/321-1751     VOX: 405/640-4683

=============== my reply ==============================================

Hello Robert,
Phytosanitary risks have been investigated very extensively
for biocontrol of black cherry shrubs (see below .sig) and
for biocontrol of poplar stump sprouting by a field survey
in Flevoland (the new Dutch polder) (see enclosed e-mail
at the end of this e-mail). We're not introducing a new fungus
species. On the contrary we're using a very common fungus.
BTW it's not a soil fungus, it produces myelium in wood, makes
purple crusts with airborne spores. Please feel free to e-mail
me to ask whatever question.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Sincerely Yours,    Meindert D. de Jong     I'm on hire!!!
E-mail: Vlinders at RCL.WAU.NL                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Voice: (+31) 8370 21937    FAX: (+31) 8370 23110
Photo's of research & researchers and c.v.:
de Jong et al. 1990. Risk Analysis for Biological Control:
A Dutch Case Study in Biocontrol of Prunus serotina by the
Fungus Chondrostereum purpureum. Plant Disease 12:189-194.
Requests for Reprint to: Centre Agrobiological Research,
P.O. Box 14, 6700 AA Wageningen, The Netherlands

Here we go again with an old e-mail of mine....

  Past year I visited an amateur mycologist at Flevoland. I
  would like to know something about the natural occurrence of
  Chondrostereum pupureum in the Dutch polders because of my
  plans to inoculate fresh poplar stumps to prevent and to
  suppress sprouting.
  There appears to be an overwhelming abundance of carpophores
  of Chondrostereum purpureum in this newly formed Dutch polder
  due to many clearcuttings of poplar forests and logging. I saw
  for instance a heap of more than hundred poplar stems of one
  year old with on each sawing area (2) more than A=100 cm2 area
  of fructifications. [F = 2 * 100/100 * 100 * 100; at this
  location it was much more than 10,000 cm2; taking into account
  the great hymenial area, which was difficult to estimate due
  to its "eary" appearance, it could be 1,000,000 in total!].
  Due to the very fast fungal succession (and a few nights with
  frost) all basidiocarps had turned brown and were disappea-
  ring.
  There appears to be an unusual rapid fungal succession on wood
  stumps and wood logs in this new Dutch polder. On one year old
  poplar logs, I already noted toadstools of Ozonium coprinus,
  Pholiota destruens, the so-called "wimperzwammetje" (Scutelli-
  nia scutellata), many Nectria spp. etc.
  Cylindrobasidium evolvens and C. purpureum is an often found
  association on poplar logs and stumps (For a description with
  photo you should consult Jahn (1979); Pilze die an Holz wach-
  sen, pp.88-89) I saw many resprouting poplar logs laying onto
  the ground. Most poplar forests happen to be about 20 years
  old. The coming years many clearcuts are to be expected. This
  will be followed by a long clearcut break.
  Besides we noticed leaves of maple with a leaf spot disease:
  dark leaf spots surrounded by a light green zone (caused by
  the "inktvlekkenzwam" (Rhytisma acerinum)). It is an ascomy-
  cete which sporulates in April and May. This is an indication
  of clean air (less air pollution).

Regards,
Meindert de Jong
aka <Vlinders at RCL.WAU.NL>