Kill a Poplar

Meindert de Jong vlinders at rcl.wau.nl
Wed Jul 6 13:53:49 EST 1994

In article <1994Jul6.111018.4791 at tower>, jwg at gnv.ifas.ufl.edu (MAD, MAD, MAD SCIENTIST) writes:
>In article <2v1vvb$545 at trex.iend.wau.nl>, vlinders at rcl.wau.nl (Meindert de Jong) writes:
>
>I hope that hope that you go through the USDA and other proper
>channels before you introduce a microorganism into this country!
>

>> If you want to kill them slowly, give me a call and I will chop into them
>> enough to expose the wood and sprinkle a few drops of my mycoherbicide
>> onto it. The trees will die, roots and all in the next two years.
>> I can do this in whatever season, just send me an invitation +,
>> then I will visit you and demonstrate this biocontrol.
>>                      _______________________
>>      .    _  .      / Meindert de Jong      \
>>      |\_|/__/|     /  Vlinders at rcl.wau.NL    \
>>     / / \/ \  \   /                           \
>>    /__|O||O|__ \  \    Voice: (+31) 8370 21937/

Thanks for your reaction! I almost thought that everybody
was in a deep sleep :)
I'm using a commonly occurring fungus of the temperate zones
of the world. In Canada they are intending to apply this fungus
(Chondrostereum purpureum) as some kind of a biological silvicide.
BTW we have done a survey in Vancouver Island to quantify its
natural occurrence as a saprophyte. In conclusion, I don't want
to introduce a new organism as in classical biological control.
In the mycoherbicide approach we'using native pathogens and
enhance their effectivity by, for instance, a special application
technique.
Peace, Meindert de Jong AKA <vlinders at rcl.wau.NL>