grassroots forestry (FIREFIGHTING)

Bruce Metelerkamp bruce at icfr.unp.ac.za
Wed Jul 27 05:36:06 EST 1994

In article <aultCtG923.LsC at netcom.com> ault at netcom.com (Stanley K. Ault) writes:
>From: ault at netcom.com (Stanley K. Ault)
>Subject: Re: grassroots forestry
>Date: Sun, 24 Jul 1994 14:46:51 GMT

>Mark Whitaker (Mark.Whitaker at f52.n105.z1.rain.com) wrote:
>: Sunday, July 3, 1994

>:
>:                 In the book "Tree Talk" by Ray Raphael, he discusses a model

>[stuff deleted]
>: Comments?? Tirades? I would love to hear from anyone actually involved with
>: mark

>This seems like a good plan, and one which has the potential for

>Stan Ault
>ault at netcom.com

>p.s.

>I'm a physicist, not a forester. I was looking in this newsgroup trying
>to gather data on the cost of the detection and fighting of forest fires.
>Know where to get info on these?

This is an interesting area for cost consideration.
Having just joined the Institute for Commercial Forestry Research, Natal
South Africa, being new in the industry as a whole, and being based in the
silvicultural and soil water research field, this aspect of forestry had not
yet cropped up in any reading I have done.
To my knowledge, our Institute has not done any of this type of work, and it
seems that fire protection, detection, and indeed research is left up to the
commercial companies involved.
One of our large companys, SAPPI based in Nelspruit, apparently
assigned Stuart Meikle to this sort of task, (assesment etc.), but he has
moved into the environmental side. You might try him at SAPPI,
Nelspruit, South Africa 27 1311 25114. Unfortunately they are not on e-mail
direct, but you can get there indirectly by emailing colleagues linked to
this Institute. (e-mail me and I will pass it on).
--
Bruce Metelerkamp
ICFR, University of Natal, Pietermaritzburg, Rep. of South Africa
E-mail: bruce at icfr.unp.ac.za