Germination Requirements of Japanese Cherry

Colleen Mulinix Mulinix at Pilot.msu.edu
Wed Jun 8 09:54:00 EST 1994

In Article <2t3gjt$n1t at aqua.rerf.or.jp> "allen at rerf.or.jp (Robert L.Allen)" says:
> I am in my last year over here and would like to leave behind
> some cherry trees. The fruit is ripe now. I have some garden
> space, but have forgotten details of germination. (I don't
> speak Japanese well enough to ask over here)
>
> I remember they need an acid bath (the gut of a bird), but
> do they require scarification? Is a period of reduced temperature
> require?
>
> Could someone fill me in on the details?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
>        _________________________________________________________
>  ______|                              |                        |______
>  \     | allen at rerf.or.jp             |  (082) 261-3131 work   |     /
>   \    | InterNet                     |  (082) 263-7279 FAX    |    /
>   /    |_______________________________________________________|    \
>  /_________)    Radiation Effects Research Foundation      (_________\
>               5-2 Hijiyama-Koen, Minami-Ku, Hiroshima 732
>                                Japan
>
> ---

I am not sure about Japanese Cherries but tart cherries and sweet cherries
need to be stratified before they will germinate.  To do this, clean the
seed and place it in a poly bag that is filled with moist vermiculite (or
sand).  Place the bag in a refrigerator for several months.  When you see
the seeds germinating, plant them in a pot.  From there you can harden them
off and plant them outside.
Colleen Mulinix
Michigan State Universi