cherry seed germination

hschooley at ZEKE.PNFI.FORESTRY.CA hschooley at ZEKE.PNFI.FORESTRY.CA
Thu Jun 9 09:44:18 EST 1994

In article <2t3gjt$n1t at aqua.rerf.or.jp>, allen at rerf.or.jp (Robert L.Allen)
writes:
>I am in my last year over here and would like to leave behind
>some cherry trees. The fruit is ripe now. I have some garden
>space, but have forgotten details of germination. (I don't
>speak Japanese well enough to ask over here)
>
>I remember they need an acid bath (the gut of a bird), but
>do they require scarification? Is a period of reduced temperature
>require?
>
>Could someone fill me in on the details?
>
>Thanks.
>--       _________________________________________________________
> ______|                              |                        |______
> \     | allen at rerf.or.jp             |  (082) 261-3131 work   |     /
>  \    | InterNet                     |  (082) 263-7279 FAX    |    /
>  /    |_______________________________________________________|    \
> /_________)    Radiation Effects Research Foundation      (_________\
>              5-2 Hijiyama-Koen, Minami-Ku, Hiroshima 732
>                               Japan
>---

Robert:

No cherry species I know of will germinate without the seed being given
a presowing chilling treatment of 2 months - plus- or at least this much
time in the soil.

Since you are in your last year there, I would suggest you consider
rooting cuttings rather than growing from seed. You could end up leaving
much larger trees. Try the following:-

On a healthy tree look for the newest shoots available, cut tips -6 to 8
inches long, remove all but 2 or 3 of the newest leaves, place the shoots
like cut flowers in a jar of water, include in the same jar shoot tips of
the same size from a willow tree, maintain the water level, watch for root
development begining in about two weeks. When roots appear move shoots to
pots, keep pot soil moist, transplant to garden after the shoots have
started to elongate.

Good luck.

Hugh O. Schooley