Can trees really grow to 30'-35' in 3-4 years? ("Austrees")

Toby Bradshaw toby at
Sat Mar 12 19:39:23 EST 1994

In article <CMItuI.DLp at>,
Joshua_Putnam <josh at> wrote:
>In <2lq42c$klo at> ao944 at (Jack Decker) writes:
>>The big sales point on these is, of course, their extremely FAST
>>growth.  If the testimonials on the enclosed double-sided sheet can be
>>believed, growth of up to 30 feet or more in three years is not
>I don't know anything about this company or its trees, but the
>Wall Street Journal did a front-page story not too long ago about
>research into using fast-growing hardwoods for electric power
>generation, and there were big companies involved in developing
>trees growing at this sort of speed.  Can't recall all the
>details, but a good library search should turn up the article.

2 Dec 93.  It described the US DOE program from which I get some of
my funding.

Toby Bradshaw                       |
Department of Biochemistry          |  Will make genetic linkage maps
and College of Forest Resources     |            for food.
University of Washington, Seattle   |
toby at               |