Please Post

ST000639 at BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU ST000639 at BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU
Thu Mar 17 00:26:29 EST 1994

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TARGETED PRIMARILY AT SIERRA CLUB MEMBERS OR
THOSE WHO KNOW MEMBERS OR THOSE WHO KNOW THOSE WHO KNOW...ER, YOU GET
THE POINT.  I'VE SENT THIS MESSAGE OUT, BLINDLY, TO EVERYONE I KNOW.
IF YOU COULD DO THE SAME, THAT WOULD BE GREAT.  WE ARE TRYING TO DO
SOMETHING MONUMENTAL:  GET A STUDENT ELECTED TO THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
OF A MAJOR NATIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL ORGANIZATION.  AS HE IS RUNNING AGAINST
PEOPLE WITH A LOT OF MONEY AND POWER, WE NEED TO REACH AS MANY PEOPLE AS
POSSIBLE.  PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW, READ IT AT
MEETINGS, AND ASK PEOPLE YOU TALK TO DO DO THE SAME.  THANKS
FOR MORE INFORMATION, YOU CAN SEND ME A NOTE OR WRITE ADAM DIRECTLY AT
ADAM_WERBACH at BROWN.EDU.  THANKS

                                              TODD HETTENBACH
                                              ST000639 at BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU

HEY FOLKS,

We've got a golden, yet rather urgent opportunity on our hands, Adam Werbach, A
Junior at Brown has been nominated to the Board of Directors of the Sierra
Club.  If elected, he will be the first student ever to join the board of a
large non-profit group like the Sierra Club.  This move would benefit students
in a number of ways, among them:

     1.  It finally gets real student representation in the mainstream
         environmental movement.  Showing "THEM" that students are willing
         and able to take a leadership role in this crucial time could
         revitalize the movement which is certainly showing signs of
         "greying".  Hey, the only way we are going to get these big
         environmental groups to listen to students is to get ourselves
         elected to these positions.  How can an environmental group whose
         average age is over forty years old be in touch with the student
         movement?  It can't, so we need to change things ourselves.

     2.  Change.  The only way we are going to get people interested in a
         broader view of environmentalism is by getting folks who care elected.
         We need students with fresh ideas on the boards, not just the people
         who have been in the environmental movement for over thirty years.  To
         paraphrase a bit of election rhetoric, it's time for a change.

BUT WHY ADAM?

Whelp, Adam has been working with and trying to change the Sierra Club since he
was seven years old.  He started circulating a petition to oust James Watt from
office and now, fourteen years later, just finished a campaign to defeat NAFTA.
Three years ago, Adam founded the Sierra Student Coalition, the student branch
of the Sierra Club.  Since its inception the SSC has become one of the most
effective voices of student environmentalism as well as a source of energy and
an impetus for change within the Club.  The thousands of local contacts and
coordinators which make up both the high school and college networks have
produced results never before imagined possible.  The SSC's lead education
campaign has tackled issues of environmental justice and public health which
were outside the realm of traditional environmentalism.  The current
Sustainability Campaign, with its merger of women's issues and environmental
issues, has brought new angles to the rather simplistic (and sometimes racist)
old-school population control proposals.  Adam's leadership and saavy were
by the Sierra Club and other mainstream environmental groups.

Having served on the Sierra Club's national Membership Committee has given Adam
the opportunity to participate in high level decision making within the Club.
He has learned how to make things happen and how to get people to listen to the
issues which students care about.  Given the chance, he has put the student
agenda first:  new, energetic campaigns, increased diversity, and a shifting
focus on people and tangible ideas rather than abstract notions and faraway
places

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

As was noted at the top of the page, spread the word.  Copy this note to as
many people as possible, read this message at meetings, and make sure that
everyone you know knows about this.  The only way we are going to win this is
through grassroots, democratic action.  The other folks have a lot more money
and pull, we need to counter that with with a swift electronic and social
distribution effort.  PLEASE forward this message electronically to as many
people as you can.  It's the surest way that we can get a victory in this
important race.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, IF YOU RECEIVE A SIERRA CLUB BALLOT IN THE MAIL, IT IS
IMPERATIVE THAT YOU RETURN IT WITH ONLY ADAM'S NAME MARKED OFF.
By voting only for one candidate, you quintuple your voting power and make a
bigger difference.

For more information on the Sierra Student Coalition, or for a copy of our
CURRENT CAMPAIGN ABSTRACTS, SEND A NOTE TO SSC at IIA.ORG OR SSC at BROWN.EDU.