buffer strips

AlangM Stein alstein at EIS.CALSTATE.EDU
Fri May 13 18:57:35 EST 1994

On Fri, 13 May 1994, Henry Ford wrote:
Thanks for this info-- it is news to me. In Alaska at about 59.5 N lat
which is a little higher than you, solar radiation has been found to heat
streams containing salmon. The effect of sr on streams that are clearcut
to banks is remarkable with a rise in temp of up to 6C in 150 horiziontal
feet. This reduces the the dissolved O as well as changes the biological
communities present ie insects. The morphological changes to the stream
channel are also dramatic since the elimination of large trees is more or
less permanent for 0150-200 years> Thus pools and banks change as well as
riffles. Steep slopes and 60-70 inches of rain a year result in
sedimentation-- mud-- in the river-- eliminAting good spAwning gravel.
More?
> I don't know about physical environmental changes, but in Avon
> a project to encourage Barn Owls which live primarily off field voles
> and mice, and which have been declining drastically over the last 50
> years (beautiful white cream and gold owls) met with startling success
> when buffer strips were used along hedges, river-banks and ditches.
> The corridors that were provided were essential for the owls to reach
> new hunting grounds, and the Owls are now successfully breeding in the
> Bristol ( a city of some 300,000).
> Buffer strips of long grass have also been successfully used in agricultural
> systems using no pesticides or weedkillers, where natural predators can build
> up populations in the buffer strips, and forage in the field strips. Back to
> the mediaeval systems of farming(!)
> Henry Ford

alan stein
po box 020241