Are there native Prunus species in Chile? South America?

Sat May 21 08:01:40 EST 1994

Recently plum pox virus has been introduced to South America.  This is the
first introduction to the Western Hemisphere.  At issue is whether aphids can
move it into native Prunus and set the stage for it to spread through out the
entire hemisphere.  I have been advised that there is no native Prunus in
Chile.  It is such a wide spread genus I have trouble accepting this.  Any
information and documentation would be appreciated.  I am also advised that all
known sources have been destroyed and a survey is to be conducted in commercial
Prunus (ie peach, plum etc).

Walker Miller                                  Office: 803-656-5732
Extension Plant Pathologist & Physiologist     Fax:    803-656-0274
Department of Plant Pathology & Physiology
206 Long Hall, Box 340377
Clemson University                          User ID: WMiller
Clemson, SC  29634-0377                     Internet:WMiller at