PATAGONIA EXPEDITION

William L Franklin wlf at iastate.edu
Wed Oct 5 13:24:48 EST 1994

            PATAGONIA RESEARCH EXPEDITIONS
    Have you ever considered sojourning in the
Patagonia of South America, where the majestic Andean
mountains meet the mighty southern oceans and the
Strait of Magellan?  Can you imagine being surrounded
by awe-inspiring peaks, when in one instant the roar of
a distant avalanche interrupts your thoughts... and in
the next a soaring Andean condor lifts your spirits
with the wind?
    If so... come join us this year on our research
expedition to Patagonia in the shadows of the Andes at
the tip of the continent, where we will be spending two
weeks in the field living among and studying
free-living guanacos and pumas in their native
environment.  You will be an active participant in an
internationally known wildlife research project.  If
you enjoy the out-of-doors, like to camp and would like
to become closely acquainted with the mountains,
people, and wildlife of Patagonia, this trip is for
you.  Qualifications: must be between the ages of 15
and 70, enjoy traveling, be in good health, have a
spirit of adventure and learning, and be able to
partially control your shouting-with-joy in the face of
breath-taking scenery.  Dates: 17 November - 3 December
1994 (17 days).
    My students and I have been involved in field
studies in southern Chile since 1976 studying Patagonia
guanaco and puma behavioral ecology.  Our study area is
Torres del Paine National Park in the remote wilds of
southern Chile, one of the most beautiful and
undiscovered corners of the world.  This is also the
homeland of thousands of free-ranging guanacos, the
progenitor of the llama.  It will be summer on the
Patagonia, that critical season when guanaco females
are giving birth, males are defending territories, and
courtship and mating are underway.  Our major objective
is to hand capture newly born guanacos, tag and collar
them with telemetry transmitters.  Last year we tagged
100!
    This is not a tour, but a working vacation in an
exotic setting.  Our tents are our cozy homes.  Weather
is often windy on the Patagonia, but spring-like in
temperature.  Be prepared for inspiring scenery and
having a fabulous time.
    Patagonia Research Expeditions is a part of THE
PATAGONIA PROJECT, a non-profit organization that
promotes ecological research and wise stewardship of
Patagonia. Expeditioners will receive a complete,
in-depth research expedition briefing that includes the
details of our itinerary, maps of where we are going,
our research plans and methods, your personal clothing
and equipment list, copies of popular and scientific
articles about our research, and information about tax
deductibility.
    The cost of the expedition is $2400 (which includes
meals, double occupancy lodging, ground transportation,
and airport taxes), plus your airfare which depends
upon your point of origin. We will make everyone's
international flight reservations so we can travel
together and give us the lowest possible group airfare.
    Well, that's a quick overview of what we are going
to be doing on our sojourn to the south.   For sneak
previews of the Patagonia guanaco and puma, see the
July 1981 and January 1991 issues of National
Geographic magazine.  Also keep an eye open for the
NOVA television special "Land of Llamas".  If you have
any questions, please E-Mail, FAX, call or write.  Feel
free to share this announcement with friends who might
be interested in joining us.  We look forward to an
exciting and rewarding experience.  See you in
Patagonia!

Saludos,

William L. Franklin, Ph.D.
 Director - Patagonia Research Expeditions
E-Mail: WLF at IASTATE.EDU
TEL & FAX: 515-292-8384

--
William L Franklin