Samanea saman

E mail: peter.durr1 at jcu.edu.au Peter
Sun Sep 18 07:02:18 EST 1994

Newsgroups: bionet.agroforestry
From: peter durr
Subject: samanea saman
Sender: news at marlin.jcu.edu.au (USENET News System)
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 94 03:42:47 GMT

I am currently finishing the writing of a review article on the
tropical legume tree, Samanea saman.

For those not familiar with the species, it is a large tree (to
30 metres) with a distinctive hemispherical canopy. It is originally
native of tropical America, but has been naturalised in most parts
of the tropics. It is the species drawn on the cover of the journal
"Biotropica".

My personal experience with the species is from several years spent
in central America and here in tropical Australia. In order to make
the review more extensive, I would be interested in obtaining any
information - no matter how anecdotal - from other countries. For
example, I have been informed that the species has been planted in
NW Thialand for the cultivation of the lac insect, and is very common
in parts of the Phillipines and India.

Any information would be gratefully received, and if included in the
review will be mentioned as a "comm. pers." Aternatively if anyone
would like more information from me on the species I would be happy
to help.

Thanks.