Tree crown measurement device

Alan Harrison harrisa at govonca.gov.on.ca
Thu Sep 29 11:09:46 EST 1994

Hello,  I am looking for a device which will assist in the measurement of
tree crown diameter.  I have a copy of the U.S. Department of Agricultre's
publication "How To Measure Tree Crown Widths" which describes how to build
an instrument using a double penta prism, a bulls-eye spirt level and a
staff.  I do not doubt that this design will work, but I am concerned that
the instrument could easily be knocked out of adjustment.  Further, if there
is an instrument commercially available I would rather go that route.

If you could share any information with me, it will be appreciated.

Alan Harrison
Ontario Forest Research Institute
1235 Queen Street East
P.O. Box 969