Planting trees in cold maritime site

Tony Gott tony.gott at zetnet.co.uk
Sat Apr 22 03:16:18 EST 1995

I intend to make a small plantation of mixed hardwoods in the North
of Shetland (just above 60 deg N). I am giving them a little defence
from the strong prevailing south westerly winds by building a stone
wall around the site. However one of the problems is that the site is
right by the sea, and so I am looking for suggestions as to the best
group of species to plant. Also any other help that I can give them
to get started.
Does anyone have any ideas?
--
Tony Gott, Bayanne House, Sellafirth, Yell, Shetland ZE2 9DG, U.K.
Voice/Fax: +44 (0) 1957 744219
E-mail: tony.gott at zetnet.co.uk
Compuserve: 100443.2731