Help Conserve American Forests

Susan Smith mombasa at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 26 22:52:55 EST 1995

Hello:
I am posting this message from "Save America's Forests",
a conservation group based out of Washington. DC.
Call 202-544-9219 for more information.

Please read and act on their Plea enclosed below. It will
be sad if the Rescission Bill with the Gorton Rider in it
passes through both houses...

Thanks.

EXTREMELY URGENT:

The House and Senate have passed the so-called Gorton Rider to the
Recission bill. The rider requires the US Forest Service to sell SIX
BILLION BOARD FEET of timber off our national forests in the next two years
and SUSPENDS ALL ENVIRONMENTAL LAWS AND JUDICIAL PROCESS with regards to
the sales.

This bill will mean the end of the last roadless areas throughout the
west, particularly in the Rocky Mountain states and the likely end to
ancient forests in the Pacific Northwest with some exceptions.

The bill was written by Slade Gorton of Washington state, a timber
industry hack who admited taking $34,000 in campaign donations from the
timber industry last year.

HELP HELP HELP:

1>   The last hope is a veto from President Clinton. Please write Clinton
and ask him to veto the Recision Bill because of the forest killing
amendment. Short messages are best. E mail and US mail and even phone calls
to the White House are all urgently needed. This is the most important
forest issue of the last two decades.
E mail address = president at whitehouse.gov
(202) 456-1111
1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington D.C. 20510

2>  Call your representative and ask them to tell Clinton to veto the
Recisission bill unless the forest killer amendment is stripped from it.

Other state residents, capitol switchboard = 202 225 3121.

3> write letters to the editor and call your newspaper urging them to write
an editorial on the subject soon. If you want more detail contact me or
call 202 686-5888.

Please help now. This is not business as usual. Please forward this
message widely. Please act. We need new voices in the fight for our common
survival.