request info - new zealand fruit

stephen fitzgerald stephenf at netspace.net.au
Tue Aug 1 09:51:16 EST 1995

If what your friend is growing is a Feijoa (Acca sellowiana) then I don't
think it came from New Zealand. I'm pretty sure Feijoas come from Brazil
and somewhere around central America. They grow and fruit profusly in
Melbourne Australia without any special consideration (the climate is
temperate/mediteranean). I guess they wouldn't tolerate a lot of frost
(we have a few frosts in Melbourne in Winter to Spring) They will grow
in partial shade. The fruit is an unusual flavour but I like it.
The family is Myrtaceae - Eucalypts, etc.
Oh... and you can garnish salads and deserts with the colourful red
flowers which are edible and sweet. (gee I'm a wealth of info. tonight!)

happy fruit growing!

Stephen Fitzgerald