Attaching id tags to logs - help

wykes at decus.org.nz wykes at decus.org.nz
Thu Aug 10 21:13:38 EST 1995

Hi

The New Zealand Forestry Corporation requires log tags and an application device
suitable for applying tags to sawlogs. The tags will be used for data capture
purposes sourced by bar-coding. We are hoping other companies or research
organisations have considered this problem previously and can help us.

The application of the tags will take place at the site of felling the log and
will be required to remain until receipt by the customer. It is therefore
envisaged to remain on the log for up to 6 months. At this stage the moisture
content of the log is very high.

The tag and application device should preferably be biogradable to enable
processing at sawmills. Alternatively, the label and adhesive/application
device is required to be removed with ease while at the same time being sturdy
enough to remain if required. An acceptable example would be sourcing a
wooden staple. The label must be able to sit flat on the butt
end of the log. It is a requirement that no plastic be included in the product.

We are very interested in hearing from anyone who might have any useful
information or suitable products. Thanks.

Posted on behalf of:

	Creightont at fcnz.co.nz
	Tracey Creighton, ph. +64-7-3479012   fax. +64-7-3479013
	Forestry Corporation of NZ Ltd
	Rotorua
	New Zealand