Dying willow oak?

David Kirkpatrick Dkirkwks at igc.apc.org
Sat Aug 12 13:25:24 EST 1995

I have a willow oak which I transplanted to my front yard four years ago.
 It seemed to establish well and grew well until recently - to about 12
feet tall with a trunk about 3 - 4" in diameter.

However in early July all of the leaves turned orange, then brown and
although they are on the tree now it looks pretty dead.  The branches are
brittle but seem to have some sap in them.  I am in NC and we had lots of
rain in June, and the soil is mostly clay but the tree is on a slight
slope.

When I looked around the base of the tree - I found a band of white
fungus around the trunk and white fungus on the roots and wood and yard
waste mulch around the trunk.  I took samples to the Cooperative Ext.
office and they sent them to NC State but the report came back "diagnosis
unknown - the fungus present is one that grow on dead wood" and thus not
root rot as I had worried.

I mulched the tree heavily last fall with yard waste compost from the
city and did not pull back the mulch from the trunk as I should have.

Anyhow - I would like to save the tree, but don't have much hope.  If it
dies and I replant, I would not want to have this happen again.  Any
ideas?  Also - are there other newsgroups dealing more with trees and
tree diseases?  Thanks for any assistance.