Availability/cost of native plants

Richard L Wagner dwagn02 at larry.cc.emory.edu
Tue Feb 7 12:46:19 EST 1995

Josh Berman (Joshua_Berman at brown.edu) wrote:

: I'm trying to document a trend in the increased supply/demand for native
: plant species. As more projects demand exclusive use of natives,
: (especially federal/state projects under freshwater wetlands acts rules)
: there should be an increased number of nurseries providing the needed
: plants.

: I've been told by DOT and some nursery people that sometimes exotics are
: used only because they are more easily obtained and they are cheaper.

: Can anyone support/refute these observations? I'm especially interested in
: price and supply trends. Are natives getting cheaper? What about
: exclusively native nurseries- are there more of them? Has anyone heard of
: community-based nurseries to supply natives to local small-scale projects?

: Please e-mail me directly. Thanks in advance for your help!

: Josh

: --
: Josh Berman
: Brown University Center for Environmental Studies
: Joshua_Berman at brown.edu
: 61 Barnes St., Providence, RI 02906, USA

: [this message may have already been posted with the wrong return address-
: this one is correct]

: --
: Your friendly managers at the Brown University Campus Pub:
: The Underground
: Student Activities Office, Box 1930, Providence, RI  02912   USA
: (401) 863-1371

Most nurseries carry what the growers can supply. The growers grow what
they can make a buck on. That is, easily propagated, fast growing, or in
other words, a quick saleable plant. When you have to grow something to
wholesale at $1.00 to $1.50 in a gallon container, it sort of limits what
you can offer. There are some natives in the trade. They fit the above
requirements. Those plants that don't fit are left to the specialty
growers. A lot more research into propagation is required.

Dick Wagner
Atlanta