queries related to Colorado trees

Stuart Wier wier at dolphin.md.fsl.noaa.gov
Wed Feb 8 11:36:33 EST 1995

I am writing a book "The Native Trees of Colorado"
with complete identification information for some 35 species, historical use,
and some forestry information.  I need pointers to
answers to the following questions:

Is there a report showing temperature dependence of
opening of Lodgepole pine (Pinus contorta var. latifolia) cones?

What temperatures are produced at crown level in Rocky Mtn
forest fires, especially the Lodgepole fires?

I am doing a little
experiment with my home oven and closed Lodgepole pine cones,
if anyone is interested. I find the resin melts around 200 degrees F.
Much below that the cones open very slowly; above 200 they open faster
simply becuase the resin heats to melting faster. At 500 degrees F, most
cones are open enough to release some seeds in 5 minutes.

How about viability of Lodgepole pine seeds released from cones heated
by fire? There must be many that are killed by the heat.

Where are the most detailed maps for individual species
distribution in the southern Rockies?

Is there any reference which lists animal use of Rocky
Mountain trees? Of course one can read a lot of the animal
literature, but that is inefficient if you just want to
find how trees are used by animals.

Where can I get a copy of the tallest trees list?

Have any favorite books or reports on Rocky Mtn trees?
I have been working on this for over 2 years, so I have
all the usual references, but still I occasionally
find new good works.

Any help for any of these would be appreciated.

Stuart Wier
Boulder, Colorado