Fwd: POINTER: Intl Forest Policy

Co-Administrator Co-Administrator at forestnet.com
Tue Feb 14 12:38:30 EST 1995

        _   _
    _ _| |_|_|_ _      WORLD RESOURCES INSTITUTE
   |  _| |_ _ _  |     1709 New York Avenue, NW
 __| |_|_|_| |_|_|__   Washington, DC  20006
|__| |_ _ _| |_ _ __|  tel: 202/638-6300
 __|_|_| |_|_|_| |__   fax: 202/662-2525
|__ _ _| |_ _ _| |__|  email: lauralee at wri.org
   | |_|_|_| |_| |     Econet Conference: wri.info
   |_ _ _ _| |_ _|
       |_| |_|

POINTER ON NEW REPORT FROM WRI *******

Nigel Sizer. OPPORTUNITIES TO SAVE AND SUSTAINABLE
USE THE WORLD'S FORESTS THROUGH INTERNATIONAL
COOPERATION, (Washington, D.C.: World Resources
Institute, 1994). Full Text of Report Available
on:  Econet Conference <wri.info>
     WWWeb site <http://www.iisd.ca/linkages>

December 1994

Dear Friend:

As our knowledge of the importance of forests in
the global ecosystem grows there has been an
increasing official response to worsening forest
conditions and an explosion of national action
plans, strategies, programs and projects. Still,
the health of the world's forests continues to
wane in both tropical and temperate regions and
few responses have made headway against the
economic, political, and social forces that
largely determine the forests' future.

WRI's latest Issues and Ideas report,
OPPORTUNITIES TO SAVE AND SUSTAINABLY USE THE
WORLD'S FORESTS THROUGH INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION,
presents a series of options for cooperation
between nations to help promote forest
conservation and sustainable development. The
report is designed to help stimulate debate among
governments, NGOs and others in the preparations
to review progress in implementation of the Rio
accords, and in particular those dealing with
forests, by the United Nations Commission on
Sustainable Development and the Convention on
Biological Diversity.

OPPORTUNITIES TO SAVE AND SUSTAINABLY USE THE
WORLD'S FORESTS THROUGH INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION
-- authored by WRI's Nigel Sizer -- summarizes
proposals under five headings: trade policy;
regional integration; information development and
sharing; human rights, participation and
transparency; and creating international
leadership. Specific options include establishment
of an informal "ad hoc" task force by the United
Nations Commission on Sustainable Development to
explore options for improving donor cooperation
and addressing divergent North-South opinions,
implementation of a continuous global forest
monitoring program, and international donor
support for regional accords.

The full text of this paper is available
in electronic format on our Econet Conference
<wri.info> and on the World Wide Web site
<http://www.iisd.ca/linkages>.

I welcome your comments.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Lash