tall sitka spruce

Michael mtaylor at redwood.northcoast.com
Sat Feb 18 09:43:12 EST 1995

     Today, me and a friend measured a very tall sitka spruce in Prairie Creek
Redwoods State Park(Humboldt County, CA). We used different methods to measure
the tree and independently came up with around 306' making the tallest known
sitka spruce in the continental U.S. The only other taller sitka spruce I am
aware of is a 313' footer in British Columbia. There are several other tall
sitka spruce in this area that might be over 313'. We plan on measuring these
over the next couple of months. Michael