Lunar phases and pest mngmt. - refs.?

Your Name Here your.emai.address.here at um.cc.umich.edu
Wed Feb 22 14:02:08 EST 1995

 I'm starting a new project looking at Mayan agricultural practices in
Guatemala.  Many Mayan farmers synrchronize their ag. calendars with the
full moon.  I want to figure out if that confers any benefit, and if it
does, is there an ecological explanation.  I'm  looking for 1.  lit. that
describes other systems where farmers synchronize their activities  with
the moon (for general background material) and
2.  anything relating lunar phase to activity of insects, particularly
pests.
I've only managed to find a couple of refs. on CD ROM, etc., so any
suggestions would be much appreciated.   Please reply to this thread, or
better yet, email me at bferg at umich.edu.   Thanks.