Specific gravities?

Steve Pencall spencal at nextlab12.calstatela.edu
Tue Feb 28 22:58:13 EST 1995

> What are the specific gravities (air dry) of the following timbers?
> 	Any mass/volume measure will suffice.

> White Oak; Quercus alba L.

> White Pine; Pinus strobus L.

> Sitka Spruce; Picea sitchensis (Bong.) Carr.

> Douglas Fir; Pseudotsuga menziesii

> Western Red Cedar; Thuja plicata D. Don
> 	Thanks a great deal,   Shawn Miller

The latter three species are western American trees and are described in
detail, including densities (in lbs/ft3) in a book entitled "The Natural
History of Western Trees" by Donald Culross Peattie. The book is now out
of print but should be available in most well-stocked libraries.  I can't
reccomend a source for info on the first two species.  To convert density
to Specific Gravity, use a value of 62.4 lbs/ft3 for water.

Hope this helps,

Steve Pencall