Driers

Paul Magnuson PPRIPCM at plant1.agric.za
Mon Jan 16 05:27:47 EST 1995

Hi all

I apologise in advance if this is an FAQ.  If so I would appreciate
pointers in the right direction as I am a newcomer to this
community!

I am looking for designs and/or instructions for the construction of
driers/dessicators for agricultural produce.  I have in mind the
drying of small pieces of fruit, bunches of herbs etc.

Criteria: the design should be "bush-technology" (simple and cheap
to build, and simple to use), suitable for agricultural-development
application in the developing world; "efficiency" relative to first-
world solutions is not a particularly important factor.  Unless
someone has a brilliant new idea, I am looking preferably for tried
and trusted designs.  I am more interested in hearing from people who
can recommend good designs from their own experience than in
text-book solutions.

I have heard reference to an apparently very effective solar-drier
in use in Uganda.  This is the sort of thing I am looking for.

Thanks in advance.
                    Paul

Paul Magnuson                             ppripcm at plant1.agric.za
Honeybee Research Unit                    Plant Protection Res. Inst.
Agricultural Research Council.            Private Bag X134
Tel. (012) 319 7113, Fax (012) 323 5275   Pretoria 0001 South Africa