Availability/cost of native plants

Josh Berman Joshua_Berman at brown.edu
Mon Jan 30 11:00:54 EST 1995

I'm trying to document a trend in the increased supply/demand for native
plant species. As more projects demand exclusive use of natives,
(especially federal/state projects under freshwater wetlands acts rules)
there should be an increased number of nurseries providing the needed
plants.

I've been told by DOT and some nursery people that sometimes exotics are
used only because they are more easily obtained and they are cheaper.

Can anyone support/refute these observations? I'm especially interested in
price and supply trends. Are natives getting cheaper? What about
exclusively native nurseries- are there more of them? Has anyone heard of
community-based nurseries to supply natives to local small-scale projects?

Please e-mail me directly. Thanks in advance for your help!

Josh

--
Josh Berman
Brown University Center for Environmental Studies
Joshua_Berman at brown.edu
61 Barnes St., Providence, RI 02906, USA

[this message may have already been posted with the wrong return address-
this one is correct]

--
Your friendly managers at the Brown University Campus Pub:
The Underground