plain old forestry newsgroup

lce652 at ANU.EDU.AU lce652 at ANU.EDU.AU
Sun Jan 29 17:07:17 EST 1995

>i am interested in starting up a new newsgroup for those of us foresters
>not nec. interested in agro...
>anyone else out there?
>i am a for. grad student at the U. of new hampshire
>i have no idea how to go about this.
>
>--
>Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handy
>if trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down?
>well we might, if they screamed all the time for no good reason.
>:)  jenny  jkupp at christa.unh.edu

There is a news group devoted to "plain old forestry" in existence, so why
not join them? Below is reproduced some info about the group:

This message contains informations howto use mailserver services
and maintain your subscribing. Many thanks to prof. JR Thibault
who have had time to prepare this information package.
I hope this help old and new members of the forest list.

Ari Turkia, current forest list administrator
1992, has now motre than 250 subscriber worldwide. Since September 1992, when
this service was started, there have been about 160 messages. The material
consists mostly of special pieces of information. There has also been an
increasing number of job announcements. A bi-monthly posting with "questions
that are frequently asked" is being planed, and also summaries of important
events and meetings prepared by WP-leaders and IUFRO headquarters.

COMMANDS

You command the listserver program by sending mail to it. You can joint the
list by sending a subscription to: mailserver at nic.funet.fi

The subscription should contain only four words on one line:
      subscribe forest <your first name><your last name>

The mailserver interprets your mailing address from the mail you send.
Correspondingly, you may unsubscribe from the list with the following message
to mailserver: unsubscribe forest.

You can get information about the services by sending the following one line,
one word message to the mailserver: help. For instance, one useful command that
is apparent from the help is: review forest, which returns you a list of the
subscribers.

The administrator is:

Mr. Ari Turkia,
Forestry Faculty
University of Joensuu,
P.O. Box 111SF-80101 Joensuu,
Finland,

e-mail: turkia at lists.funet.fi

Livinus Emebiri
School Of Resource & Environmental Management
Department of Forestry
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200
AUSTRALIA