Sail Pruning

Phil Graham Phil_Graham at
Wed Jun 14 19:43:07 EST 1995

In article <3ro4di$rnh at> A.S.Chamove at (Arnold Chamove) writes:
>From: A.S.Chamove at (Arnold Chamove)
>Subject: Sail Pruning
>Date: 15 Jun 1995 02:03:30 GMT

The most recent stuff I've been hearing around here (British Columbia) is to
remove about 1/3 of the limbs, but to do it in a spiral pattern up the
tree, rather than top it or simply raise the crown up.

Phil, Certified Arborist

>The advice given for
sail pruning is to trim about half off the>lower branches of pines in order to
reduce wind resistance.>It seem to me that it is the upper branches that offer
the most>wind resistance and the lower, especially the very lowest,
branches>offer almost no resistance to the wind as they are very close to
the>ground and also contribute a lot to photosynthesis.