rootlet turnover and mycorrhizals

Paul Stewart stewart at bud.peinet.pe.ca
Sat Mar 4 10:39:06 EST 1995

I recently read two postings in sci.bio.ecology regarding carbon turnover
due to death of rootlets of hardwoods with seasonal and transient change
in the water table, etc. I'm wondering what the effect of this carbon
release would be on the growth and fruiting of mycorrhizal mushrooms such
as the boletes or chanterelles. I am trying to formulate artificial media
and substrates fro these fungi; any info regarding this relationship
would be much appreciated. I eventually wish to approach the local
forestry department to propose a study on the role of mycorrhizals in
woodlot management, including natural enhancement and
inoculation/picking.
	p.s.: I will cross-post to bionet.mycology, but am more
interested right now in the agriforestry angle generally, then the
fungal/tree relationship and ecology specifically. Thanks.
...Paul from the Great White Northeast <stewart at bud.peinet.pe.ca>