Tree guy's advice

Knut Menard kmenard at ccs.carleton.ca
Tue May 9 18:20:28 EST 1995

Btu200 (btu200 at aol.com) wrote:
> OK you tree guys, lemme ask you this.  If I wanted to plant a row of trees
> to keep the neighbors from looking in on the back yard from their windows,
> what kind would you suggest?

> The back yard is very narrow; there is not more than 20' from my house to
> theirs.  the presence of their windows makes sitting on the back deck
> uncomfortable.  A tall fence is too costly, and I don't want to lose much
> of the yard I do have.

> I wondered aloud once about Poplars, and was told they don't live long.

> Please advise.

> BTU200 at aol.com.

How old are you ? I'm just wondering, because Poplars do get quite
old, and can live longer than most humans. How about oak ? *grins*
By the year 2050 your neighbours might have a problem watching you.
Seriously : the best probably would be cedar, planted close together.
They will provide a nice "trimmable" hedge within a few years. But
that also depends on the climate and the ground. I'm not THE expert.
For more information, check out the following address :

<LI><a href="http://www.carleton.ca/~kmenard/forest.html">
Forestry - Resources </a>

I'm sure you will find somebody who'll be able to help more.

Knut

          (o o)                (o o)                (o o)
Knut Menard              	     !	kmenard at ccs.carleton.ca
Carleton University                  !	uu346 at fim.uni-erlangen.de
Ottawa, Canada			     !	Knut at eworld.com
Tel.: (819) 454-2749	             !  71330,1131 at compuserve.com