How do I sprout Acorns?

Mike Morris Mike.Morris at iplan.co.za
Tue Nov 7 02:25:50 EST 1995

In article <478p91$8b3 at portal.gmu.edu>,
   Dale Cabaniss (ECE306) <dcabanis at sodium> wrote:

>I have gathered some acorns from a Willow Oak which I would like to
germinate.  I have been told that Acorns need to be frozen before they
will sprout.  Does anyone know about this?  Any info would be
appreciated.

Yep, they do need to be frozen, or chilled at the least.  I stuck them
in the refrigerator for a couple of months and then planted them out
and had no problems.  I think they also need to "age" a little before
they will sprout, but a few months of chilling seems to be enough
time.  I have also grown acorns that were in the freezer compartment
of the 'fridge successfully.

One catch is not to grow them in small containers -- the roots get
long quite fast, and those little devils want lots of water.  I lost
any number by planting them in pots with the result that they ran out
of root space, sickened and died eventually.

BTW, I have done this with acorns from several Quercus species, so I
would guess it will work for your Willow Oak.

Mike Morris                     We do not inherit land from our ancestors
Mike.Morris at iplan.co.za         We borrow it from our children.

Ph: +27-21-788-4171 (W)        Cape Town, South Africa        34.40'S 18.30'E
    +27-21-788-7984 (H)