logging and environmental problems

Lawrence Lloyd lllloyd at ucdavis.edu
Tue Oct 3 14:21:53 EST 1995

J. Mullis,
Thanks for your thoughtful note about loggers.
Being a 23 year veteran timber faller in the California Sierra Nevada, I
can truthfully say that Americans should be respectfully thankful to
hard working loggers who supply them with billions of board feet of
timberat wfhile maintaining the integrity of the resource base.
We can have sustainable forests, wood products,and jobs if those who
know the land are allowed to carefully harvest trees selectively across
the landscape.
Locking up productive forests in temperate North Amnerica only
exascerbates environmental problems in the tropics and in
environmentally sensitive Siberia.
Instead of hysteria and emotion, we should, as a society, let good
science, facts and common sense drive the forestry debate
Sincerely,

Lawrence Lloyd
Professional Timber Faller
UC Davis Graduate Student