Switzerland unit measure SILVE

Marc WAGNER wagner at life.lu
Thu Oct 5 11:43:51 EST 1995

In article <MFORESTA.3.00177688 at LASCAR.PUC.CL> MFORESTA at LASCAR.PUC.CL (INSTITUTO FORESTAL) writes:
>From: MFORESTA at LASCAR.PUC.CL (INSTITUTO FORESTAL)
>Subject: Switzerland unit measure SILVE
>Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 23:27:37

>Hi, somebody,

>I know that  Switzerland have a special volume measure unit, named SILVE. My
>question is, anybody have the definitions of it. Or have a bibliography
>reference about it.

>Thanks in advance,

>Claudio Zunino
>Forestry research
>Instituto Forestal
>Chile
>South America

Claudio Zunino,

In Switzerland and in France, the "sylve" (sv) is used as volume measure
unit for the standing crop in **plenter woods**.

To make a difference between the volume of a standing crop which has
been calculated with usual tables for plenter woods on one hand, and
the real result of the felling on the other hand, the volume out of
tables for plenter woods is called "silve", where as the real volume,
without the loss in harvesting, is called f.e. "cubic meter of timber
harvested" (in german "Erntefestmeter", in french "volume reel de
recolte apres faconnage).

The difference between these two values must be statistically determined
for each specific case.

Sincerely,

Marc WAGNER
Eaux et Forets