[VIPS] Crown ideotype for hybrid poplar

'Toby' H D Bradshaw toby at u.washington.edu
Thu Oct 5 11:45:33 EST 1995

In article <450m2e$tv3 at msunews.cl.msu.edu>,
Frank W. Telewski <telewski at cpp.msu.edu> wrote:

>Another topic which concerns crown morphology and development
>with regard to the parents and hybrids should consider crown
>stability with regard to mechanics and wind loading.  How much
>of a sail area (speed specific drag) is created and how does that
>influence both cambial development to support the loading, and
>root development.

What factors dertermine speed specific drag?

I imagine some of these will involve tradeoffs with productivity.
For example, single leaf area is positively correlated with growth
but probably also increases drag.  This kind of thing is especially
important for poplar plantations east of Cascades, where winds are
generally strong.  Can productivity be maintained while reducing
drag by deploying more but smaller leaves?

-Toby Bradshaw
toby at u.washington.edu
Poplar Website <http://poplar1.cfr.washington.edu>