logging and environmental problems

Lawrence Lloyd lllloyd at ucdavis.edu
Wed Oct 4 17:37:23 EST 1995

Unfortunately, you are obviously ignorant of the complex issues
surrounding sustainable forestry in America.
First, NO logs are shipped from the National Forests (the "peoples"
trees) to oversees markets.
Also, exports of raw logs from California's private forests has
declined from less than 4% of total harvest to under 2% in recent years
due to the demise of the federal timber sales program and the
subsequent increase in private timber value.
As for subsidized timber, very few national forests actually show a
loss due to the timber sales program, and the vast majority actually
returns revenue to the national treasury with reciepts from timber.
Counties also benifit from timber sales through the 25% fund that
returns that percent of timber revenue to local counties, in lieu of
property taxes, for schools and roads.
Finally, shouldn't Americans, as vast consumers of wood products,
utilize our fast growing, productive forests (the 30% that is relegated
for multiple-use) to sastisfy our consumption? By locking up domestic
resources, we only export environmental problenms to foreign countries
eager to compromise the environment for much need revenue.
Sincerely,
Lawrence Lloyd
Professional Timber Faller
UC Davis Graduate Student, Community Development