New Tallest Tree Discovered!

micahal mtaylor at northcoast.com
Sun Oct 22 03:08:55 EST 1995

A coast redwood measuring 371' tall was confirmed by Ron Hildebrant, of
Humboldt County on 10/21/95. Earlier this Summer, I had measured the same
tree at 369' with a rangefinder and a clinometer. Since Hildebrant used a
transit and more accurate techniques, I consider his measurement to be the
more accurate. The general public will be notified pending a third
independent confirmation by canopy researchers from Oregon State University.
The tree is located in the Montgomery Grove in Mendocino County near Ukiah. I
have named the tree, The Mendocino Tree. If anyone has any questions about
this tree, please contact me through e-mail
Michael Taylor