tree farming, dual land use, better cash flow

MICHAEL PALENCAR micp at ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 4 21:56:40 EST 1995

   We have been involved with tree farming for a few years and I have
begun to wonder if there are other ways the land can be used while it
is growing timber. Something simple that would not inhibit the growth
of the trees.
   Since we usually plant on old pasture land in the Appalachians, my
first idea was to graze cattle after the trees were tall enough to
avoid trampling, until the shade choked out the rich grass. I also
thought about planting trees closer together, with every other row
being a fast growing variety that could be harvested early, such as
Locust for fence posts.
   The local professionals have already laughed at this idea, so don't
worry about hurting my feelings. Any ideas?